A Weekend in Edinburgh - Sunday

Where I last left off, we were wondering Edinburgh on a Saturday night delighting in all things Christmas. Jump now to Sunday morning, which dawned crisp and clear - just the way I like 'em! After a wee snooze (I'm so lucky to have friends that understand my need for a Sunday morning lie-in) I met up with Emily in the lobby of our Hostel and we meandered out into the sunlight in search of breakfast. We actually ended up going back to The Elephant House - irregardless of it's Harry Potter attraction, it's a nice little cafe. After a hearty meal of eggs, porridge and tea we set off for a stroll up the Royal Mile and into Edinburgh Castle.


Unbeknownst to us, it was St. Andrews day which meant that Edinburgh Castle was free to pop in and have a peek around. We were swept up in the crowds headed for the Castle entrance, and suddenly found ourselves in what appeared to be a ticket line. We obviously looked as confused as we felt but the lovely staff at the gate informed us of our fortune. Not only is the Castle impressive to look at, as it appears to rise up out of the cragged hill top, it also gives you the most beautiful vantage point over the city. It was breathtaking.






There was literally not a cloud in the sky, and the bracing cold made everything seem all the more clear. Edinburgh Castle has some great exhibits, while we didn't get to see them all we did take a look at the Crown Jewels and the "Stone of Destiny". The exhibit gave a nice condensed background to Scotland's monarch history with lots of interesting models and mannequins. After a peruse of the grounds and a quick discussion about how much it would cost to buy a castle of one's own (I'd quite fancy having myself a wee Castle!) we made our way down the hill into the Princess Street Gardens. I know I keep going on about the weather, but it was just the most perfect day. The afternoon sun filtered through the trees washing everything in an idyllic glow.





We ended the day in a Cafe formally known as I heart Cafe (I forget what it's called now) catching up and generally enjoying everyone's company until the sun had decidedly set, and we headed back to the Hostel to get ready for our ridiculously early start on Monday morning. It was a wonderful end to a perfect weekend.

Here's one more snap - I just can't help myself. Look at that view!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author