Christmas in London

I have always loved Christmas. It’s such a magical time of year, where everyone gets together, eats, drinks, laughs, and reflects on the past year. I love the Christmassy feeling that swirls around December, making even the most mundane tasks just a little bit more special. New Zealand Christmas is full of hot; long days and late nights, suntans and beach bums. The air is thick with the smell of the beach, the chirping of cicadas and a smearing of sunscreen. It’s all the best bits of summer, with a good dash of Christmas cheer. The Christmases of my childhood were filled with short days, biting winds, snuggling by the fire with a cup of something hot. There’s something indescribably satisfying about scurrying inside out of the cold, to a warmly lit house and a roaring fire.



Judging by my build up, it’s safe to say I was pretty excited for Christmas in London. By the end of November, London has shaken off its winter blues and pulled out its very best finery, to kick of Christmas in style. Everyone is just a little bit friendlier; the shops are brightly lit and the scent of something special mixes with the smog.






Christmas will always be a time for friends and family, so there was really no better time of year to bring a special wee someone to share it with (no Mum, I don’t have a secret boyfriend…). My little sister Meg set off on her first big adventure alone; to sample a slice of London at it’s best. Over the Christmas period, I got to play tour-guide to the lil’ Sis, showing her all the bits of London I’d discovered, and finding some I hadn’t. There's something incredibly wonderful about introducing the special people in your life to a place you love, watching them fall in love with the place you call home. 








We soaked in the magic, drifting from Oxford Street to Marble Arch and back again. We explored museums, department stores and castles. We had a blast. Christmas day was spent with my God-Mother, dining on roast duck with all the trimmings, opening presents sent from lands far away and when the day began to end, watching all the Christmas Specials we could find.















I’m aware this is a terribly nostalgic post, but that’s what Christmas is to me. I had such a wonderful time, with people who love me in a place I adore. I am a lucky, lucky girl.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger
 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author